Review: 'How I Met Your Mother' - 'The Perfect Cocktail': Drunk trialing
Some amusing Robin/Lily stuff, but when will Zoey go away?
A review of last night's "How I Met Your Mother" coming up just as soon as I get weirdly good at beat-boxing...
For the most part in this uneven "HIMYM" season, we've alternated between good and bad episodes. The degrees of goodness or badness may have varied, but individual episodes have tended to be all of a piece. "The Perfect Cocktail," on the other hand, was an episode that shifted back and forth so rapidly between stuff I enjoyed and stuff that made me cringe that I wasn't sure until the end whether I liked it.
Even that last scene was a mix of two different running gags from the episode, one of which had consistently worked (Barney's guy with the disgusting photos), one of which hadn't (Lily and Robin aggressively defending their booth from the other women). Fortunately, the last joke involved the photos, and not Lily randomly acting like she did with her Revertigo friend from "Sandcastles in the Sand," and that closing note just nudged the episode into the positive column.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
(*) Ted's relationship with Stella was also largely argument-driven (at least what we saw of it on-screen). I don't mind the show spending time on Ted dating non-Mothers, but the last few long-term relationships have been fairly unpleasant to watch for reasons having nothing to do with their doomed status.
On the positive side, though, Lily and Robin's attempt to identify the perfect combo of booze to end the Marshall/Barney feud was clever and fun and distinctly "HIMYM"-y, with a variety of strong cutaway gags, like Barney as Richard Dawson or Marshall smoking a cigarette and looking insane. But even there, the absinthe gag felt a bit too silly - or, at least, too silly to end that story on. I get that the feud is supposed to carry on at least for another episode, but it's like the writers couldn't think of an ending, threw up their hands and said, "Well, we'll just have Robin and Lily float down the street together."
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013