HBO delays 'Treme' premiere until fall
New Orleans music drama's first two seasons aired in spring
Dave Walker at the New Orleans Times-Picayune is the man I trust on all things "Treme," and he has a significant piece of news today: HBO has delayed the "Treme" season 3 premiere date until sometime in the fall.
The first two "Treme" seasons aired in the spring, and the show was absent from HBO's list of spring premiere dates from press tour. Given that "True Blood" owns the summer for HBO, "Treme" was either going to have to air on a different night (which has not been a boon to other HBO shows like the canceled "Bored to Death") or be delayed.
Presumably, "Boardwalk Empire" season 3 will also be on in the fall, and HBO still has to schedule Aaron Sorkin's drama about cable TV news, so "Treme" could wind up airing on a different night, after all. We'll see. David Simon has told me and Dave that ideally the show would run four seasons, but that'll be up to HBO to decide. The ratings for the first two seasons weren't particularly strong, and at the moment it's a show that exists because HBO likes it and wants to be in business with Simon. Hopefully, whenever it airs in the fall, they'll still feel that way about it.
UPDATE: HBO has asked me to clarify that the premiere hasn't technically been delayed, since they never announced a premiere date of any kind for the season. Everyone just assumed it would air in the spring, since HBO usually - but not always - airs its various shows at the same time each year.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013