'Fringe' - 'The Box': Over here
Faux-livia gets to work on our side
A quick review of tonight's "Fringe" coming up just as soon as I work behind a deli counter...
As I said last week, having the two Olivias swap universes was a great idea, not just in terms of the larger arc, but for spicing up the Monster of the Week episodes. Do a version of this A-story with Olivia, and it's boring. Do it with Fauxlivia(*) - even if she's not pulling the strings the way she is here - and it becomes something else altogether. She has an agenda, and she's trying to learn about our world ("Who's Bo-no?"), and she's trying to maintain her cover (here seducing Peter to avoid him noticing the blood stain on her floor), and she's a general fly in the ointment. And that's vastly more interesting than our Olivia Dunham working a case and playing straight woman to the Bishops.
(*) By the way, I understand that the show's producers have taken to calling the character "Bolivia." I will not be a party to that foolishness. Fauxlivia is a much better nickname by a factor of a thousand, and so instead I will pay homage to whatever internet poster first coined it by sticking with it for as long as the character remains a factor on the series.
Beyond that, the idea of Walter being in charge of Massive Dynamic has a lot of possibilities - just think of what he'll do with the Food Services division! - though I hope the MD offices have room for Gene the cow if a lot of the research action is going to move there. (Also, I wonder if we'll see an MD branch up in Boston, or if the characters will be commuting from Boston to NYC even more than before.) And hopefully he'll have the freedom to play the "Miami Vice" theme there, as well, if it's scientifically germane.
Overall, not as strong as "Olivia," but still a very promising sign for this Over There/Over Here structure we're going to use for at least a while in season three.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013
Lecter becomes interested in a local killer, and Will begins hearing thingsThursday, May 16, 2013