Exclusive: FOX cancels 'The Chicago Code'
Shawn Ryan-produced cop drama one of several FOX series to get the axe Tuesday night
It's been a very busy night for FOX, which, according to various published reports, has already ordered several new shows for its fall schedule, including the JJ Abrams-produced "Alcatraz," the "Bones" spin-off "The Finder" and the Zooey Deschanel sitcom "The New Girl," while also deciding that "Human Target" and "Breaking In" won't be back on next year's schedule. Given all the action, and given that "The Chicago Code" was on the renewal bubble right along with "Human Target" and several other series, I thought I'd check in with that show's creator, Shawn Ryan, to see what he was hearing.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
The ratings for "Chicago Code" had never been especially strong, and with so many high-profile pilots in development, on top of pre-existing commitments for next fall for "Terra Nova" and "The X Factor," there wasn't going to be a lot of real estate on next year's schedule. At best, one of "Human Target," "Chicago Code" and "Lie to Me" were going to get picked up. Now, at least 2 out of those 3 have been removed from the equation.
I wrote in my review of last night's episode that the show had a lot of good raw material that it didn't quite know what to do with yet, but that I was hopeful Ryan - who already had FX's "Terriers" canceled out from under him this season - and company would figure out how to make it work by the time a second season started. Instead, no second season, and the show will likely end as a big ball of unrealized potential.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013
Lecter becomes interested in a local killer, and Will begins hearing thingsThursday, May 16, 2013
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013