Exclusive: FOX cancels 'The Chicago Code'
Shawn Ryan-produced cop drama one of several FOX series to get the axe Tuesday night
It's been a very busy night for FOX, which, according to various published reports, has already ordered several new shows for its fall schedule, including the JJ Abrams-produced "Alcatraz," the "Bones" spin-off "The Finder" and the Zooey Deschanel sitcom "The New Girl," while also deciding that "Human Target" and "Breaking In" won't be back on next year's schedule. Given all the action, and given that "The Chicago Code" was on the renewal bubble right along with "Human Target" and several other series, I thought I'd check in with that show's creator, Shawn Ryan, to see what he was hearing.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
The ratings for "Chicago Code" had never been especially strong, and with so many high-profile pilots in development, on top of pre-existing commitments for next fall for "Terra Nova" and "The X Factor," there wasn't going to be a lot of real estate on next year's schedule. At best, one of "Human Target," "Chicago Code" and "Lie to Me" were going to get picked up. Now, at least 2 out of those 3 have been removed from the equation.
I wrote in my review of last night's episode that the show had a lot of good raw material that it didn't quite know what to do with yet, but that I was hopeful Ryan - who already had FX's "Terriers" canceled out from under him this season - and company would figure out how to make it work by the time a second season started. Instead, no second season, and the show will likely end as a big ball of unrealized potential.
News From Our Partners
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Dan and Alan break down the first batch of fall schedulesTuesday, May 14, 2013