Farewell to '24': A few links
A few good retrospectives on the many days of Jack Bauer.
"Lost" said goodbye last night, and tonight we get a series finale double-feature, with "24" at 8 and "Law & Order" at 10. I'll have an essay on "L&O" up and ready in a few hours, but I've been struggling to find the time to write something on "24." Given how long it's been since I felt passionately about the show, that's probably for the best, as nobody needs to read the same list of complaints again at the end.
Instead, let me point you to two treatises on the show, one written by my current partner, the other produced by my former partner. (Unlike Jack Bauer, my partners have a pretty good mortality rate.) The first is Fienberg's "24" entry from his terrific Best of the Decade series from last December.
The second comes from my old Star-Ledger colleague Mat Zoller Seitz, who has spent the last couple of years cranking out a series of insightful and/or amusing video essays on movies and TV. (Here's one of the sillier ones, in which Matt and Sarah Bunting examine "The Ties of Zodiac.") Matt and Aaron Aradillas cooked up a five-part series of video essays on "24," starting with their look at the show's origins in the context of the TV of the Aughts.
So go read and/or watch, and feel free to share your (spoiler-free) expectations for tonight. With a movie in the works, Jack can't die, but is everybody else fair game?
News From Our Partners
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013