Fall TV revisited: What new shows have you stuck with?
In an underwhelming fall season, have any rookies stood out?
Because of election coverage, last night was a pretty slow night for scripted network TV. And since I'd already seen all my Tuesday cable shows in advance via screeners, and since the Knicks game was canceled due to a false alarm about asbestos (typical freakin' Knicks; just as they're starting to improve, it looks like the arena itself is toxic), I decided to do an inventory of the new network shows and figure out which ones I still cared about.
And the answer is none.
There are some I intend to keep checking into from time to time to see if they've improved ("No Ordinary Family," "Running Wilde") or because they're just good enough that I don't mind having them on while doing other things ("Hawaii Five-0," "Raising Hope"), but there aren't any I'm attached to, and none I would probably be sticking with at all if this wasn't my job.
But that shouldn't be a surprise. I came into September saying this wasn't a good network development season, that the clear two best rookies of the fall were on cable ("Boardwalk Empire" and "Terriers," both of which I still love), and that the only network newbie I was really invested in was "Lone Star" - and we all know what happened with "Lone Star." And while my taste certainly doesn't overlap with the majority of Americans (see the ratings for "Terriers"), I haven't been alone in my apathy, as there hasn't been a real break-out hit among the new crop.
We're at a point in the season where most of the decisions have been made about which shows are already dead ("Outlaw," "My Generation"), which will be around for a while ("Blue Bloods," "Mike & Molly") and which are just running out the string until their networks can find something better to replace them with ("Undercovers," "Running Wilde"). So I'm curious what new shows, be they network or cable, you guys have picked up and intend to stick with for as long as they're around (or until they take a turn for the worse, quality-wise), and why you're a fan of that particular show or shows.
As always, no judgment here, folks. If somebody sings the praises of a show you find to be an abomination, you can note your disagreement without attacking the other commenter as history's worst monster.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
A Showtime leftover doesn't really fit at NBCWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013