Emmys 2011: Amy Poehler talks about 'Parks and Recreation's outstanding comedy nomination
Also has some blunt talk about Nick Offerman's non-nomination
For the second year in a row, Amy Poehler is an Emmy nominee for her work on "Parks and Recreation." But she's much less excited about that than about the fact that the show itself was nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series. I got on the phone with Poehler for a few minutes to talk about the nominations, about co-star Nick Offerman being snubbed again, and what her unconventional plan is to win the darned trophy this year.
Is this Emmy nominee Amy Poehler?
Yes it is, and thank you. I only want to be referred to as such.
How does it feel?
Really great. Super exciting. So excited the show got nominated. Fingers were crossed, and I didn't know it was going to happen. It's the coolest feeling to know we're going to be invited to that party.
So last year, it was like the Emmy voters saying, "We like you," and this year, it's "We like your show."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
What does Nick Offerman need to do to get himself a nomination already?
A lot of people don't know that just last week, Tom Selleck presented him with a Lifetime Mustache Award, which a lot of people don't know. He'll always have that, and they can't take that away from him. But it's a hot load of bullshit that he didn't get a nomination, and you can quote me on that. But I suspect and hope that will change. And certaintly that field, there's a lot of talented men vying for that position. If you asked Nick, he'd say the show is represented. But I would say his work on the show is the best stuff on TV, and he deserves every award. A lot of people don't know that Nick designed all of the costumes in "Game of Thrones."
Any idea yet which episode you're going to submit?
I don't know. People have been saying "Flu Season." What do you think?
Yeah, either that or "The Fight." You're in a category with a bunch of women who are giving pretty dramatic performances, so you might want to go with something that's just balls-out funny.
I think I'll probably submit that. It's a little daunting to even think about it. Or maybe I'll just submit some of my sketches and drawings. Just a loose leaf packet of some charcoal drawings. I don't know, is that how it works?
I hear Laura Linney is going to submit a watercolor.
If she submits a watercolor, I'm going to do some weird performance art thing. I'm going to show up at every voter's door and do a really cool thing where I pour honey over myself.
Alan Sepinwall may be reached at email@example.com
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013