Emmys '11 Predictions: Outstanding Comedy Series
'Parks and Recreation' was TV's best comedy, but can it beat 'Modern Family'?
The 2011 Primetime Emmy Awards are on September 18th, and it's time once again for Fienberg and I to discuss whom we think should and will win(*) some of the major categories. In the home stretch now, so no more doubling up, as we look at the nominees for Outstanding Comedy Series.
(*) As always, we remind you we do not have impressive track records at prognostication. Place your wagers (or, preferably not) accordingly.
"The Big Bang Theory"
"Parks and Recreation"
Alan's pick: If you've been reading these Emmy posts over the last week-plus - or if you've been reading my writing for the last two years - then you know the only answer to this question (especially since neither "Louie" nor "Community" were nominated) was "Parks and Recreation." The show pitched a perfect season, one without a dud episode, one that was consistently funny and sweet and just plain happy.
Dan's pick: "Parks and Recreation" was the best comedy on TV this year. It's cause for celebration that it was nomination at all, but since it was nominated, how would I pick anything else? That being said, "30 Rock" had a great bounce-back year. And "The Office" had chunks of a very good season (and other less-good chunks). And "Modern Family," which won last year, is a fine show itself. But yeah. No-brainer.
Alan's pick: Season-long excellence unfortunately doesn't matter as much with the way the Emmy process works. Each group of voters will see only a pair of episodes, and the best two episodes of "Modern Family" or "30 Rock" would stack up very well against the two best "Parks and Rec"s, even if those other shows get thinner the deeper you go down the roster. Because of that, because "Parks and Rec" got only a handful of nominations (which indicates lukewarm support from the Academy as a whole), and because so many Academy members are clearly big "Modern Family" fans, I'm assuming it repeats.
Dan's pick: When every single adult member of your regular cast gets nominated for Emmys, that's a solid sign that you have the support of Emmy voters, eh? "Modern Family" also got a slew of writing nods, a slew of directing nods and as much as I hate to be boring and echo Alan, it's going to repeat as Outstanding Comedy Series. The previously unbeatable "30 Rock" would be my most likely second choice. But yeah... "Modern Family." I'm boring.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
What *deserves* to win the Outstanding Comedy Series Emmy?
Don and Stan get a special shot, the agency loses a leader and Sally meets her 'Grandma Ida'Monday, May 20, 2013
The Lannisters throw a wedding, Daenerys faces a new army, and Stannis meets GendrySunday, May 19, 2013
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013