'Doctor Who' casts Jenna-Louise Coleman as new companion
Actress to succeed Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill when the Ponds leave the TARDIS
"Doctor Who" fans already knew that this season — the show's 50th anniversary season — would be the last one to feature Karen Gillan as the Doctor's trusted companion Amy Pond (and also Arthur Darvill as Amy's husband Rory). And now we know who will be tasked with replacing her: 25-year-old actress Jenna-Louise Coleman, who's previously been on UK shows like "Emmerdale."
Where the original "Doctor Who" series featured companions of all ages and sizes, the modern series has, with the exception of one season with Catherine Tate's Donna Noble, stuck to a pattern of attractive women in their 20s, a pattern that Coleman continues.
The press release announcing the casting doesn't say exactly who Coleman will be playing, or when in the new 14-episode season she'll arrive, but "Who" showrunner Steven Moffat said the following:
"It's not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it's about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that's all you're getting for now. Who she's playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor's standards, this isn't your usual boy meets girl."
Here's Coleman being interviewed about the casting:
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013