'Dexter' - 'Hop a Freighter': Don't tase me, Robocop
A frustrating follow-up to recent episodes reminds why "Dexter" can't have nice things
A quick review of tonight's "Dexter" coming up just as soon as I buy you a knife...
Season five had found itself a nice little groove in the last few weeks, but "Hop a Freighter" erased a lot of the goodwill that recent episodes had generated.
It's not that it was bad, but rather that it was predictable in that way that "Dexter" seasons always are. And it dashed any hope that the slightly tweaked format of the season would lead to a significantly different ending.
Specifically, I don't think they could have come up with a less inspired, less interesting means of dealing with the Liddy problem. Dexter has barely found out that someone associated with Miami Metro is watching him, and has no idea that it's Liddy, and then within the space of about 10 minutes, he's taken prisoner by Liddy, finds out everything Liddy was up to and most of what Quinn does and doesn't know, and manages to put a knife through the guy's heart. Bing, bang, boom; complications (almost) all gone, and there's so much other plot swirling that I doubt there will even be much time for Dexter to grapple with the idea that he killed someone who was a dirty cop but not really within the boundaries of The Code of Harry. The only thing that could have been more formulaic would have been Dexter securing Liddy to a table with plastic wrap to do the ritual first, but whatever the show gained in tension by sticking Dexter in that van was lost by how quickly and lamely they dispatched with the season's biggest wildcard.
With Liddy out of the picture, there are still some question marks about how the finale goes - Does Lumen get killed? Get on a bus? Somehow stay? And is Quinn now permanently on the side of the angels? - but overall the events of this episode were a reminder of how much I need to lower my expectations with this show.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Dan and Alan break down the first batch of fall schedulesTuesday, May 14, 2013