'Community' - 'English as a Second Language': Good Troy Barnes
The Spanish study group faces a life without Spanish class.
A review of the latest "Community" coming up just as soon as I picture you as Paul Giamatti...
After the pop culture inferno that was last week's "Modern Warfare," "Community" mostly(*) dialed down the references for a more character-driven - but still very funny - episode that asked an obvious yet necessary question: what are these people going to do once they finish their Spanish requirement?
(*) Though of course we got the extended, amusing flip on "Good Will Hunting" with Troy's hidden plumbing gifts, and the brief courtroom drama parody (with Pierce as the judge and Abed as the court reporter), and, my own personal favorite, the small nod to "Fletch" with Pierce only knowing how to say "Tierra del fuego" in Spanish. "Community" is not a show that wants to go cold turkey on the reference humor, nor should it.
What could have been a rote exercise in plot mechanics instead turned into a nice character duet for Annie and Jeff, with her desperate to keep her friends and him assuming they'll stay together - and, if not, no biggie, because he's the studly Jeff Winger and can make new friends. And the scene at the end where Jeff says Annie's dressed like a travel agent, and she in turn says, "I was going for more of a professor thing" - and the priceless reactions from both Joel McHale and Alison Brie after she said that - suggests that we're not done with the obvious, comically rich but emotionally awkward sexual chemistry between these two.
Two things I'm curious about: 1)How much will the show feature Senor Chang (who was used just enough so that the character's broadness never got tired) next year now that he's going to be a student? 2)Given that this was structured like a season finale, what exactly do Dan Harmon and company have up their sleeves for the actual finale?
And how can I not love a show that features an exchange like the following between Troy and Abed:
"I think I got half of it, which got me through the half I didn't." -Troy
"Like the first season of 'The Wire.'" -Abed
So good, and so nice to see Pierce get to save the day, and not even want or need credit for it.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013
Lecter becomes interested in a local killer, and Will begins hearing thingsThursday, May 16, 2013
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013