'Burn Notice' - 'Past & Future Tense': Burt Reynolds and a day at the beach
The '70s icon offers Michael a glimpse of his future in a very strong episode.
Comic-Con and press tour are going to knock a lot of the usual shows out of the rotation for the next few weeks, but USA wisely sent out advance screeners of tonight's Burt Reynolds-errific episode of "Burn Notice." A quick review coming up just as soon as I switch to autumn colors...
"All you really have in the end are your stories." -Paul
What a fantastic episode. Best of this season, and the best one the show's done in a very long time.
Obviously, the presence of Burt Reynolds - as Paul, Michael's ghost of Christmas future - helped, as the '70s icon's natural hamminess fits in nicely on this show, and yet whose story gave the usual hijinks some gravitas by giving Michael a look at what he might become one day. And as a "Wire" fan, I'm constitutionally obligated to praise any show that casts John Doman, particularly to play a high-ranking jerk.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
I'm still losing the thread on the Jesse arc, but have accepted at this point that it's just a series of MacGuffin's designed to make the gang jump through different hoops. This one featured a nice, surprisingly understated turn by Richard Kind as Jesse's ex-boss. My one issue with it is that Fi's concern about what Michael's becoming didn't entirely track with the future version of Michael suggested by Paul's story. Fi has been concerned about this all season, obviously, but I think we could have eased off on that for one week to worry about one bad road for the guy at a time.
Still, "Past & Future Tense" was "Burn Notice" at its best: good spy tips and improvisation (locking the guys inside the Congressman's house), Michael playing a fun character (an exaggerated version of himself), nice guest work, etc.
Nicely done, folks.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video] Oreo 'Wonderfilled' Ad – What's the Song?
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013
Lecter becomes interested in a local killer, and Will begins hearing thingsThursday, May 16, 2013
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013