'Burn Notice' - 'Guilty as Charged': We all live in a black submarine
The summer season comes to a muddled end
A quick review of the "Burn Notice" summer finale coming up just as soon as I sign for your submersible...
"Burn Notice" is, as I've mentioned before, coming back in November, rather than the usual wait until January or later to wrap up the season. I'm glad for that, both because I like it when all the episodes air closer together, and also because I wasn't that crazy about "Guilty as Charged" and don't want it to be my last memory of the show for too long.
Even in seasons or half-seasons that have flaws, "Burn Notice" tends to nail its finales, so I was particularly disappointed that "Guilty as Charged" didn't do much to move me.
Matt Nix has said that the show USA wants is the one he's been giving them - which is to say, something that each week is maybe 80% standalone and 20% serialized. Clearly, he got exemptions at the ends of season two and three to have Michael deal solely with that year's big villain, but for the rest of each season, the format is the format. And given how complicated this season's arc has become - and how little time has been spent on it in any given week - I don't think sticking to the usual structure served us well in this mid-season finale. I remain as in the dark as Michael about what all these different factions are about, and whether I'm supposed to care about any endgame beyond the team getting Jesse's job back, and wasn't happy with how much time in the hour was spent on the kidnapping case. When the show has successfully balanced a standalone case with big finale developments, it's been because the standalone put someone we cared about in danger (Sam taken prisoner by the bad guys at the end of season one, or Fi being threatened by old enemies in the middle of last season), and compared to that, a random kidnap victim - even a five-year-old girl - doesn't quite rate.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
I liked some of the usual bits of spycraft like Michael getting the sub and Michael comparing what he does to a magician's trick, and as a "Party Down" and "Parks and Recreation" fan, I was amused that the sleazy lawyer was named Adam Scott, but this was an uneven half-season of the show, and "Guilty as Charged" was a fairly muddled capper to it.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013