'Burn Notice' - 'Blind Spot': Chuck vs. Charles
Chuck Finley is forever as the summer season winds down
A quick review of last night's "Burn Notice" coming up just as soon as I score 1420 points at canasta...
As the lead-in to the summer finale(*), "Blind Spot" had a bit of an obligatory feel to it. It brought John Barrett (played by the impeccably-cast Robert Patrick) and his private army to Miami, and it finally clued Jesse in to Michael's responsibility for burning him. But we knew both developments were coming, and the latter was one that always kinda rankled me. I knew all season for a moment like the one between Jesse and Fi in the climax, it still frustrated me at times this season that Michael never let Madeline, Fi or his own common sense talk him into confessing to Jesse. No, it wouldn't have worked at the beginning, but there came a point in that relationship where Jesse liked and trusted them, and where if Michael had framed the explanation in the right way, Jesse might have accepted it and continued helping Michael take down Simon, or Barrett, or Vaughn, or whoever we've decided is the real bad guy this week. But Michael never realized that, mainly because the plot demanded that Jesse turn on him at some point. I'm not a fan of what Roger Ebert calls the Idiot Plot - where the plot only works if the main characters are idiots - and I particularly don't like it when it's applied to a show whose hero is defined by his intelligence.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
The standalone story was fine. I appreciate a Chuck Finley appearance as much as the next "Burn Notice" fan, particularly at the end when he revealed to Charles everything he had done to him, and Jeffrey Donovan had fun playing Michael's greedy corrupt cop character. And given the previous hints the show has dropped about Jesse's attraction to Fi, I was actually glad that his feelings about their makeout session got derailed by his discovery that she and the others have been lying to him. Jesse's professional relationship to the gang interests me; Jesse as romantic obstacle to Michael and Fi does not, particularly since the series is often ambivalent at dealing with them as a couple at all.
While I didn't love this one, Matt Nix and company always tend to kick things up a notch in their finales, so I'm looking forward to whatever comes down next week, even if our hero had to be kind of dumb to get there.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Dan and Alan break down the first batch of fall schedulesTuesday, May 14, 2013