Review: 'Awake' - 'Guilty': I am a cop! Looking for my son!
Can answers in the red world save a life in the green world?
A quick review of tonight's "Awake" coming up just as soon as I take a few sleeping pills...
"Guilty" was the first episode not written by Kyle Killen (Howard Gordon and Evan Katz were credited on the script), and I was curious to see if there would be a notable change in feel or style. And I think the hour does feel a bit more like a traditional cop show with a twist, and also one that's a bit more literal in Britten's movements between the two worlds. In the first two episodes, one case informed the other, but in esoteric ways (i.e., unrelated murders where the victims had the same name), where in this one, he goes to the red world to ask questions of a guy who already died in the green world. Cooper's not plotting an escape in both worlds, but otherwise, the story and situation are the same, down to Britten busting his ex-partner in both worlds.
But while the idea of the loved one getting kidnapped feels like a very big card to play this early, it does fit in with the theme of the show about how we deal with loss — or, in Mike's case, how he tries to avoid it. And I thought Jason Isaacs and Dylan Minnette did strong work throughout.
Also no movement on the conspiracy that was introduced at the end of last week. I wasn't crazy about that scene, and therefore didn't mind, but I wonder if any of you were bothered that we went back to business as usual instead of more ominous meetings on park benches.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
The Lannisters throw a wedding, Daenerys faces a new army, and Stannis meets GendrySunday, May 19, 2013
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013