Review: '30 Rock' - 'TGS Hates Women': Baby talk
Liz and Jack take on a pair of deceitful blondes
A quick review of last night's "30 Rock" coming up just as soon as I sail an inflatable castle across the Atlantic...
"TGS Hates Women" opens with a marvelous example of having your cake and eating it too, as "TGS" is attacked for doing too many jokes about famous women getting their periods, followed by a great piece of physical comedy from Tina Fey as Liz herself suddenly gets her period, fires the entire writing staff and then passing out. Period humor can be a lazy, misogynist crutch, but the teaser's payoff was a hilarious reminder of the axiom that any subject should be fair game for humor if you actually make the effort to do it right.
That teaser was the jumping-off point to an episode that had to tackle a whole lot of tricky questions about how women are treated in the world of comedy, whether it's empowering or degrading for female comics (or women in general) to hyper-sexualize themselves, how and why women get hired on shows like this, etc. As others before me have already noted, the episode was dealing with a tangled knot of recent headlines and people in the news, including but not necessarily limited to the Jezebel takedown of "The Daily Show," Olivia Munn, Chelsea Handler and Sarah Silverman. Whether you were aware of the real-life influences or not, I think ultimately the Abby Flynn storyline bit off a little more than the show could chew, and while it had funny moments (Jack bouncing on the trampoline with Abby, the weird "Sleeping with the Enemy" explanation for Abby's persona), I think it was a case where, after the teaser, the social commentary was more interesting than the humor(*).
On the other hand, Jack vs. a 14-year-old girl (wonderfully played by Chloe Moretz from "Kick-Ass")? Fantastic, from Jack mispronouncing Justin Bieber's name(**) to the weirdness of Bobert Ballard to her true colors coming out when Jack confronts her at school. Alec Baldwin is often at his funniest in this role when Jack is going up against a completely ridiculous foe or obstacle, and I think a 14-year-old schemer makes a better foil for him than, say, Devon Banks has been.
(**) Funnier NBC Bieber joke last night: Jack's "Bee-eye-ber" or Dwight's "Justice Beaver" on "The Office"?
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013