Review: '30 Rock' - '!Que Sorpresa!': Standing in the white shadows of Kabletown
Jack gets a new boss in an uneven but funny-enough episode
A quick review of last night's "30 Rock" coming up just as soon as we go to Branson to take in a Yakov Smirnoff show...
I talk sometimes in these reviews about how "30 Rock" (which for the most part doesn't ask you take its characters seriously and will sacrifice any piece of characterization for the sake of a joke) can at times be at a disadvantage to shows like "The Office" (which want you to care about these people at the same time that you're laughing). On the other hand, "30 Rock" has an advantage over those shows, as well: because it's so single-minded in its pursuit of gags, odds are that even a sub-part episode will included at least 2 or 3 big laughs, whereas an episode of "The Office" that isn't funny isn't funny all the way through, and then affection for the characters can only take you so far. (Case in point: last night's show.)
And yet... I had to go back and rewatch the hilarious "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" voice-activated remote joke three times before I could continue on, I loved Liz's explanation of why she couldn't be pregnant ("Because I have had my period for the last 61 days") as well as the name Rufus T. Barleysheath, and I did, again, quite enjoy Ken Howard. Hell, I even laughed at the discussion of Frank's "armpit thing" and "thigh thing."
Not a great episode by any means, but a reminder of the value of the jokes-jokes-jokes approach.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013
Some experimenting, but mostly the same old, successful CBSWednesday, May 15, 2013
A badger gets loose at Cece's wedding, and Nick and Jess ponder their futureTuesday, May 14, 2013
Has the show solved Winston yet? What stories would she redo?Tuesday, May 14, 2013