Take Me To The Pilots '11: FOX's 'New Girl'
Banking everything on the appeal of Zooey Deschanel isn't a bad bet
[In case you've Forgotten, and as I will continue to mention each and every one of these posts that I do: This is *not* a review. Pilots change. Sometimes a lot. Often for the better. Sometimes for the worse. But they change. Actual reviews will be coming in September and perhaps October (and maybe midseason in some cases). This is, however, a brief gut reaction to not-for-air pilots.]
Show: "New Girl"
The Pitch: "So we've got Zooey Deschanel and..." "Stop! SAY NO MORE!"
Quick Response: It's going to sound like a weird comparison, but "New Girl" is like FOX's sitcom equivalent of ABC's "Castle." When "Castle" first premiered, ABC was making a simple contract with viewers: If you find Nathan Fillion charming and promise to ask *nothing* else of a quirky crime procedural, we can promise you 44 minutes of Nathan Fillion being charming EVERY week. ["Castle" has become a bit more than that, thanks to Stana Katic, but that's still the basic backdrop of each episode, three seasons later.] With "New Girl," FOX is making an equally simple contract: If you find Zooey Deschanel utterly and completely irresistible and demand little more to a single-camera comedy beyond Zooey Deschanel's particular brand of twee majesty, we can offer you 22 minutes every week. That's selling the entirety of "New Girl" the tiniest bit short. Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield and Damon Wayans Jr. are all acceptable foils to Ms. Deschanel, but whatever individual gifts they might hypothetically offer in the future -- Wayans' future being particularly brief, with "Happy Endings" demanding his time after a couple episodes -- for the sake of the pilot, they're being well paid to respond with encouraging confusion and amused bafflement as Zooey Deschanel does what she does. In this case, she sings (frequently), she cries, she falls down and when she puts on a little black dress, everybody suddenly realizes that she's been hot all along. It's SHOCKING. Thus far, nobody's asked Deschanel to stretch in any meaningful way, but just because she could probably play this role in her sleep, doesn't mean that she chooses to. She's fully committed and, if you've loved Zooey Deschanel in the past, the odds of your not falling for her here are low. But anything else -- that includes the premise, the dialogue, the three supporting actors and the arc of the pilot -- is window-dressing.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Take Me To The Pilots '11: The CW's 'Hart of Dixie'
Take Me To The Pilots ' 11: ABC's 'Apartment 23'
Take Me To The Pilots '11: CBS' 'A Gifted Man'
All of last year's Take Me To The Pilots installments.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
Would Nikita kill the President or not?Saturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan talk upfronts, reality and 'The Office' finaleFriday, May 17, 2013
Kree or Candice? Join as as we wade through over two hours of filler.Thursday, May 16, 2013
This season's shutout winner discusses his path to victoryThursday, May 16, 2013