Take Me To The Pilots '11: CBS' 'Unforgettable'
Poppy Montgomery is solid, but the show is... forgettable
[In case you've Forgotten, and as I will continue to mention each and every one of these posts that I do: This is *not* a review. Pilots change. Sometimes a lot. Often for the better. Sometimes for the worse. But they change. Actual reviews will be coming in September and perhaps October (and maybe midseason in some cases). This is, however, a brief gut reaction to not-for-air pilots.]
The Pitch:"Remember that Marilu Henner segment from '60 Minutes'? We're gonna give it a CBS spin!" "You mean she can remember everything *and* she solves crimes?" "DING!"
Quick Response: This is just one of those names you don't want to give your new show, because CBS' "Unforgettable" is, regretfully, an almost aggressively forgettable show. How forgettable is it? The last line in my notes? "Meh!" This is assertively, confidently, professionally average TV and it's populated by a slew of actors I really respect, including Kevin Rankin and Michael Gaston. I particularly like leading lady Poppy Montgomery, who kept me watching "Without a Trace" for a least a season or two longer than I otherwise planned to do (the excellent Anthony LaPaglia didn't hurt). She's gorgeous, holds the screen with authority and I have absolutely no idea what accent she thinks she's doing in "Unforgettable." Directed with predictable generic thriller proficiency by "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" helmer Niels Arden Oplev, the pilot looks good and has an interesting key motif, as the main character has to go into almost a fugue state to journey through her memory to pick out details that got stuck in her brain that she didn't previously realize she'd noticed. That's neat. What's much less neat is that the pilot script is constructed not around our hero's aptitude, but around a series of coincidences and symbolic ironies -- a woman who forgets nothing is investigating the death of a woman with seemingly no past -- that become unbearable by the end. I stopped caring very early in the pilot's mystery-of-the-week and I couldn't bring myself to re-care by the time the writers decided to hammer home the obligatory ongoing mythology that involves the one day our hero can't remember. If "A Gifted Man" and "Person of Interest" feel like CBS (for better or for worse) trying new things, "Unforgettable" feels like it could have been made for any CBS development cycle in the past decade. Meh!
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Take Me To The Pilots '11: NBC's 'The Playboy Club'
Take Me To The Pilots '11: ABC's 'Charlie's Angels'
Take Me To The Pilots '11: NBC's 'Grimm'
Take Me To The Pilots '11: FOX's 'New Girl'
Take Me To The Pilots '11: The CW's 'Hart of Dixie'
Take Me To The Pilots ' 11: ABC's 'Apartment 23'
Take Me To The Pilots '11: CBS' 'A Gifted Man'
All of last year's Take Me To The Pilots installments.
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
Would Nikita kill the President or not?Saturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan talk upfronts, reality and 'The Office' finaleFriday, May 17, 2013
Kree or Candice? Join as as we wade through over two hours of filler.Thursday, May 16, 2013
This season's shutout winner discusses his path to victoryThursday, May 16, 2013