Take Me to the Pilots '10: FOX's 'Raising Hope'
Greg Garcia's latest raises the bar for Baby Endangerment Humor in primetime
[As I've already mentioned, and will continue to mention each and every one of these posts that I do: This is *not* a review. Pilots change. Sometimes a lot. Often for the better. Sometimes for the worse. But they change. Actual reviews will be coming in September and perhaps October (and maybe midseason in some cases). This is, however, a brief gut reaction to not-for-air pilots.]
Show: "Raising Hope," FOX
The Pitch: "It's 'My Name Is Earl' with a baby! And a randy grandma!"
Quick Response: Greg Garcia has settle on his Thing: Low income, low motivation white dude (politically incorrect folks would say "po' white trash," but I certainly wouldn't) decides to change his life with a contrived catalyst. In "My Name Is Earl," it was a lottery win and The List. In "Raising Hope," it's a baby left to the main character by a death row inmate (Bijou Phillips, who I hope returns somehow). Leaving aside the *utter* ridiculousness of the core premise -- I'm skeptical about The State handing over an orphaned baby to a woefully unprepared father with no clear means of support -- this is another Garcia series where we have to stand back and ponder if Garcia feels love or contempt for his characters. With "Earl," we were generally laughing with our main character and *at* everybody else. With "Raising Hope," there's a bit more laughing *at* our heroes and their foibles. Leading man Lucas Neff has ample charm and everybody else is chewing scenery. As his parents, Martha Plimpton and Garret Dillahunt are talented enough that they can simultaneously mug and also find heart when required. Cloris Leachman just mugs in the latest evolution of the Inappropriate Granny character she's been playing for over a decade. I'm *really* sick of Leachman. I liked large parts of "Raising Hope," but every time Leachman came on screen she became the center of attention. If she were just a guest star, I wouldn't care, but as a regular? Too much. Way too much. Also, "Raising Hope" is going to test viewers' tolerance for Child Endangerment Humor, since that's the spine of the show: Lovable schlub with questionable book smarts *or* street smarts learns to be a better man and a father through trial and hilarious error. But I laughed. A couple times. More times than I laughed at "Running Wilde." And I liked the sweetness that Garcia is good at pulling off, whether between the core family or between the main character and his future love interest, played by Shannon Woodward.
Desire To Watch Again: Like "My Name Is Earl," "Raising Hope" is going to be a balancing act for Garcia, a more dangerous one since babies make for fragile comedic props. For a couple more episodes? I'm definitely curious how he's gonna pull it off. But I could check out on this one really fast if the balance tips the wrong way.
Take Me to the Pilots '10: NBC's 'The Event'
Take Me to the Pilots '10: FOX's "Running Wilde"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: FOX's "Lonestar"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: CBS' "Hawaii Five-0"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: NBC's 'Undercovers'
Take Me to the Pilots '10: ABC's "Better Together"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: CBS' "Feces My Dad Says"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: The CW's "Nikita"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: ABC's "No Ordinary Family"
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
Something seems to be wrong with Norman BatesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Dan and Alan talk 'Goodwin Games,' 'Motive,' 'Behind the Candelabra' and moreMonday, May 20, 2013
Would Nikita kill the President or not?Saturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan talk upfronts, reality and 'The Office' finaleFriday, May 17, 2013