Take Me to the Pilots '10: CBS' 'Mike & Molly'
Billy Gardell and Melissa McCarthy are solid leads if the comedy helps them
[As I've already mentioned, and will continue to mention each and every one of these posts that I do: This is *not* a review. Pilots change. Sometimes a lot. Often for the better. Sometimes for the worse. But they change. Actual reviews will be coming in September and perhaps October (and maybe midseason in some cases). This is, however, a brief gut reaction to not-for-air pilots.]
Show: "Mike & Molly," CBS
The Pitch: "Hi, I'm Chuck Lorre and I have a new show..." "SOLD!"
Quick Response: There are two pilots at war in the single pilot for "Mike & Molly." One is a character-driven story about two people falling in love. In that pilot, the two characters meet at Overeaters Anonymous and their struggles with their weight are definitely linked to nearly every punchline. The second is a story about two fat people in love. In that pilot, tables keep collapsing or being overturned and staircases turn out not to be wide enough. If the first pilot turns out to be the template for the series to come, "Mike & Molly" is a show that I'd watch again. Stars Billy Gardell and Melissa McCarthy have been scene-stealing supporting players in the past and there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be funny as series stars. Swoosie Kurtz and Reno Wilson also know how to get laughs and Katy Mixon's persona and comic timing are, as they were on "Eastbound & Down," unique. In that first version of the pilot, the central characters are overweight, but the jokes are self-generated and part of rapport amongst friends and loved ones. In the second pilot, the fat guy falls down and breaks stuff and the jokes cease to be character-driven, so much as punchline-driven, with the punchlines coming at the expense of the leads. I would not keep watching that second pilot. So it's tough to know what to think about "Mike & Molly." There is precedent for a Chuck Lorre-produced show starting off too broad and laughing at its main characters rather than with them, but eventually finding a way to love, honor and mostly respect those main characters. I hated "Big Bang Theory" for a long time and was eventually very glad that I stuck with it. For the sake of Gardell, McCarthy, Kurtz, Wilson and Mixon, I hope that's the direction "Mike & Molly" goes as well.
Desire To Watch Again: High. I want to see the show that "Mike & Molly" decides to be. I fear, though, that I won't be willing to give it nearly a full season to find itself, as I did with "BBT."
Take Me to the Pilots '10: NBC's 'Outsourced'
Take Me to the Pilots '10: The CW's ' Hellcats '
Take Me to the Pilots '10: FOX's "Raising Hope"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: NBC's "The Event"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: FOX's "Running Wilde"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: FOX's "Lonestar"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: CBS' "Hawaii Five-0"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: NBC's 'Undercovers'
Take Me to the Pilots '10: ABC's "Better Together"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: CBS' "Feces My Dad Says"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: The CW's "Nikita"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: ABC's "No Ordinary Family"
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
Would Nikita kill the President or not?Saturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan talk upfronts, reality and 'The Office' finaleFriday, May 17, 2013
Kree or Candice? Join as as we wade through over two hours of filler.Thursday, May 16, 2013
This season's shutout winner discusses his path to victoryThursday, May 16, 2013