Take Me to the Pilots '10: CBS' 'Hawaii Five-0'
Alex O'Loughlin is the star, but Scott Caan and director Len Wiseman steal the show
[As I've already mentioned, and will continue to mention each and every one of these posts that I do: This is *not* a review. Pilots change. Sometimes a lot. Often for the better. Sometimes for the worse. But they change. Actual reviews will be coming in September and perhaps October (and maybe midseason in some cases). This is, however, a brief gut reaction to not-for-air pilots.]
Show: "Hawaii Five-0," CBS
The Pitch:"Surely the third time's the charm for Alex O'Loughlin?"
Quick Response: Nothing in Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Peter Lenkov's take on "Hawaii Five-0" is especially fresh and notable, so an awful lot of credit has to be given to director Len Wiseman ("Live Free or Die Hard") for making this pilot so much fun. You know the old cliche about pilots that look like movies? This one does. It's a somewhat dizzying, over-edited, slightly over-directed movie, but the Hawaii cinematography is breathtaking, the stunts are proficient and the explosions are fireball-tastic. I don't usually find CBS procedurals to be especially entertaining. They have their language and their rhythms and they speak that language well, but they aren't necessarily entertaining. The "Hawaii Five-0" pilot is utterly entertaining, albeit in a mindless sort of way. What's going to happen when Wiseman departs? A valid concern. CBS' Golden Boy Alex O'Loughlin has a good vehicle here, because all he's asked to do is be earnest and to occasionally take his shirt off. He succeeds admirably on both counts. Co-star Scott Caan is far more entertaining, as the brash, sarcastic Dan-O -- think of Caan's "Ocean's Eleven" character, with a badge. Grace Park is first introduced surfing in a skimpy bikini and her character is later strip-searched down to her undies, but she conveys the necessary determination and strength that you watch her even when she isn't being objectified. Expect the producers to dedicate most of their creative juices to figuring out ways to keep Park in similar states of undress, though with the Islands backdrop, it won't really be hard. Also fine? Daniel Dae Kim and a slew of guest actors whose presence in the pilot surprised me (and I'll leave them unspoiled for you as well). Toss in the beloved opening credit theme and you have a show that ought to be a winner for CBS, even if it doesn't feel like a CBS show. It's too bright and sunny.
Desire To Watch Again: Surprisingly strong. It's in a time period where I have DVR space available most weeks and I'm curious how well they'll be able to maintain the pilot production values sans Wiseman. If subsequent weeks see it become Just Another CBS Procedural, I can definitely tune out, but I enjoyed watching the "Hawaii Five-0" pilot.
Take Me to the Pilots '10: NBC's 'Undercovers'
Take Me To the Pilots '10: ABC's "Better Together"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: CBS' "Feces My Dad Says"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: The CW's "Nikita"
Take Me to the Pilots '10: ABC's "No Ordinary Family"
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- William Bradley: Mad Men: 'Chevy Is Spelled Wrong!' PHOTOS: The Bluth Banana Stand Is Here! WATCH: Elisabeth Moss Was Nervous About Peggy's Future
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
Something seems to be wrong with Norman BatesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Dan and Alan talk 'Goodwin Games,' 'Motive,' 'Behind the Candelabra' and moreMonday, May 20, 2013
Would Nikita kill the President or not?Saturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan talk upfronts, reality and 'The Office' finaleFriday, May 17, 2013