Take Me to the Pilots '10: ABC's 'No Ordinary Family'
Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz star in a pilot that recalls the best of 'Heroes'
[As I've already mentioned, and will continue to mention each and every one of these posts that I do: This is *not* a review. Pilots change. Sometimes a lot. Often for the better. Sometimes for the worse. But they change. Actual reviews will be coming in September and perhaps October (and maybe midseason in some cases). This is, however, a brief gut reaction to not-for-air pilots.]
Show: "No Ordinary Family," ABC
The Pitch: The first season of "Heroes" meets "Modern Family"
Quick Response: It's hard to remember now, but people weren't wrong to like "Heroes" in its first season. There was a charming innocence to the show and a pleasure in watching ordinary people discover extra-ordinary powers. The pilot of "No Ordinary Family" has that same charm and innocence. It's bright, funny and fully invested in the subtext of what it means to suddenly have super-strength, super-speed or to be able to hear people's thoughts. It's a great cast, with Michael Chiklis jettisoning Vic Mackey (though not Ben Grimm) and with Julie Benz effectively and appealingly ditching the breathless mannerisms that used to make Rita really annoying on "Dexter." Romany Malco steals his scenes and if the show is wise, he'll remain central. Some structural tics in the pilot aren't necessary and it's unclear if talking heads will be a component going forward. Greg Berlanti's name on the pilot? Good sign. Jon Feldman's ("Big Shots") name on the pilot? Hmmm... Like "Heroes," it's easy to watch this pilot and see ways an unfolding series could go right and ways an unfolding series could go wrong. As long as they follow the "Incredibles" template and keep the focus on the family, it should be OK (and hopefully better-than-OK). [This one is undergoing recasting, with Christina Chang exiting, which seems fine, as she wasn't a problem in the pilot, but she also wasn't memorable.]
Desire To Watch Again: High. There's a reason ABC is so optimistic on this one. The network has had drama development difficulties in recent seasons, but this feels like a potential breakout.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
Something seems to be wrong with Norman BatesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Dan and Alan talk 'Goodwin Games,' 'Motive,' 'Behind the Candelabra' and moreMonday, May 20, 2013
Would Nikita kill the President or not?Saturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan talk upfronts, reality and 'The Office' finaleFriday, May 17, 2013