Take Me to the Pilots '10: ABC's 'Better Together'
JoAnna Garcia shines, but there are no real laughs in this out-of-place comedy
[As I've already mentioned, and will continue to mention each and every one of these posts that I do: This is *not* a review. Pilots change. Sometimes a lot. Often for the better. Sometimes for the worse. But they change. Actual reviews will be coming in September and perhaps October (and maybe midseason in some cases). This is, however, a brief gut reaction to not-for-air pilots.]
Show: "Better Together," ABC
The Pitch: "We'll pair it with 'Friends' of 'HIMYM' and it'll be a smash hit!"
Quick Response:Well, it's better than "Hank." Actually, that's not fair. It's a ton better than "Hank." Still, it seems that ABC is attempting to plug the lone gap in its newly successful Wednesday Comedy Bloc with an NBC comedy from the '90s ("Friends" vet Shana Goldberg-Meehan created) or a CBS comedy from the '00s. The premise could be summed up as "Couples communicate differently when they've been together different lengths of time," but beyond that? Not much here. There's no substance and no real style and there were no laughs in the first 22 minutes, but it also wasn't *bad*. You can obscure a lot of gaps and flaws when you have the adorable JoAnna Garcia as your lead and you have unimpeachable pros like Debra Jo Rupp and Kurt Fuller as your older couple. Heck, even other regulars Jennifer Finnigan, Josh Cooke and Jake Lacy aren't exactly unlikeable. There's just something flat and old-fashioned about the pacing and punchlines (James Burrows directed and while he's a freakin' legend, he's associated with one particular rhythm). It's not a timing that goes well with the three single-camera comedies returning to ABC Wednesday. I have to feel like there was a reason why the in-demand and amazingly talented Garcia picked this particular project, but so far that reason isn't obvious, though I like that the show was willing to totally shift gears and go emotional at the end.
Desire To Watch Again: If you put "Better Together" on CBS Mondays after "How I Met Your Mother," I'd probably give the show five or six episodes to find itself, just because of compatibility and Garcia. Where it is now? One or two more episodes, maybe.
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
Something seems to be wrong with Norman BatesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Dan and Alan talk 'Goodwin Games,' 'Motive,' 'Behind the Candelabra' and moreMonday, May 20, 2013
Would Nikita kill the President or not?Saturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan talk upfronts, reality and 'The Office' finaleFriday, May 17, 2013