Who is on top next week? Does Sugarland topple Michael Jackson?
Depending upon which chart you go by, the craziness of having two different CDs as No. 1 continues next week. The Billboard Top 200 will be topped by Sugarland and its "Live on the Inside" DVD/CD combo, while Hits Daily Double's comprehensive chart will continue to be ruled by Michael Jackson, whose "Number Ones" is expected to top the 100,000 mark. Sugarland's title, which is a Wal-Mart exclusive, is bolstered by last Monday's ABC special.
Kings of Leon continue to sell like hotcakes and will move into the Top 5, according to Hits Daily Double. The actual number depends upon whose chart you're watching. On Hits, Jackson captures three of the top five spots, while for Billboard, Kings of Leon are likely to rule at No. 2.
This week had a weak release slate; that's evident in the fact that only two new titles are likely to come in to the Top 10: country foursome Gloriana should come in around No. 6 or 7 for Billboard, based on salesof around 45,000 copies, while "Kidz Bop Kids" will likely be right behind it.
Billboard's comprehensive chart does register all sales so that is the much more reflective chart of true sales right now than the Billboard 200. The simple fact is that Billboard will face this issue again in September when the Beatles titles are reissued in conjunction with the Rock Band release. Just as Billboard eventually recognized retail exclusives and included them on the Billboard 200 (they were previously relegated to the comprehensive chart, robbing Garth Brooks of another No. 1 when his first Wal-Mart collection came out. The change was made in time for the Eagles' Wal-Mart exclusive). It's time for them to make the change and make the Billboard 200-- the chart that every artist wants to be No. 1 on-comprehensive. Having worked there for years, we're very aware of the pressures on them to keep the chart the way it is (as well as others advocating for the change), but it's time.
News From Our Partners
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013