White Stripes, Drive-By Truckers lead slim new music release week
Runaways reissues coincide with new biopic about the Joan Jett-led band
The White Stripes lead a relatively low-key release week. The duo's live DVD/CD is joined by new sets from Drive-By Truckers and the Disco Biscuits, but there are no releases that are likely to shake up the top of the charts.
The Disco Biscuits, “Planet Anthem” (Diamond Riggs): Philadelphia based-band that plays neither disco nor, as far as know, is made up of biscuits, returns with its latest set of spaced out, fun music. They don’t call themselves a jam band because they include large doses of electronica, but we will based on their great live chops.
Drive-By Truckers, “The Big To-Do” (ATO): The band some folks, including CNN, have proclaimed the best American rock and roll band playing these days, releases its 10th album and its first for ATO. The group’s Patterson Hood told JamBase that the set is “very much a rock album” inspired by the band’s latest stint on the road. We’re particularly intrigued by the song title “The Fourth night of My Drinking.”
The Runaways, “The Mercury Albums Anthology” (Hip-O Select): Timed to the release of “The Runaways” biopic, catalog label Hip-O Select is reissuing the Runaways’ four albums, served up on two CDs. The 42 tracks span the Joan Jett-led group’s canon from “Cherry Bomb” to a live set in Japan. See the movie to learn the history (done up Hollywood style), but listen to this collection to get the real story.
The White Stripes, “Under Great White Northern Lights” (Third Man/Warner). Meg and Jack White celebrate the band’s 10th anniversary (and possible swan song) on this 2007 tour of Canada, which culminates in an anniversary show in Nova Scotia. The audio features 16 tracks, while the DVD includes performances and a documentary on the pair’s sojourn across our neighbors to the north.
Gin Wigmore, “Holy Smoke” (Universal Motown): There’s been considerable buzz on New Zealand singer Gin Wigmore as she attempts to replicate the success here that she’s had down under, where the album hit No. 1. On the set, she gets a little production help from Ryan Adams’ band, The Cardinals, which certainly won’t hurt her endeavors.
News From Our Partners
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013