What does Joan Jett think of Kristen Stewart's performance in 'The Runaways?'
Plus, Jett names names on bands that treated the Runaways badly
“[Kristen] makes me very proud, because she’s a very real person, she’s really authentic, she’s dedicated,” Jett told Hitfix during a roundtable for the movie at the Sundance Film Festival. “She took it really seriously. It wasn’t a gig for her: ‘I’m doing this movie, I‘ve got something else down the road.’ She cut off her hair. She immersed herself, not only in the music, but in the story.”
Jett went so far as to give Stewart a tape of Jett talking when she was 14 so Stewart could nail her mid-Atlantic accent. Ultimately, the two women, who are now fast friends, realized they had plenty of similarities. “Just in real life, we’re a lot alike,” Jett said. “If you were to see the two of us sitting around, just the way we move in space is pretty much a lot alike, we shake our legs, put our hands…it was very similar.”
Jett, who serves as an executive producer on the film, had nothing to do with the casting of Stewart or Dakota Fanning as band mate/lead singer Cherie Currie, but she made one very specific request. “All I said to them about the casting was it would be really great if you could get teenagers because I think it makes a difference, you know, between even playing, if you’re 21 or 22. I know it’s still young and it’s still close, but there’s a little bit of a difference, that teenage energy, that was my only suggestion.”
As far as the accuracy of the movie, which is a fairly dark portrayal of the Runaways’ very quick rise and fall, Jett says she realized early on “that this was not a biopic… It’s basically a parallel story line that uses a lot of the Runaways’ factual stuff, but you know, there are embellishments.”
Of the romance between Jett and Currie portrayed in the movie, Jett is characteristically coy, saying only, “I thought they did a great job…I’m not a kiss and teller.” Currie, however, told Hitfix in a separate interview that the romance was “overplayed.”
One area that the film captured realistically was the resentment the band faced from its male counterparts. Men object to women playing rock and roll because it’s threatening to see women in so overtly sexual a position, posits Jett: “Pop music sort of presents itself as, ‘Here I am and you can do what you want with me.’ Rock and roll says, ‘this is what I’m gonna do with you,’ and I think a lot of times people find that with girls threatening. A lot of times people would laugh at us and go, ‘Oh, that’s cute.’ When they realized we were serious, they’d get nasty.”
And by the way, the group that refuses to give the Runaways a sound check in the movie is Rush, Jett said.
Wistfully, Jett wishes Runaways drummer Sandy West, who died of cancer in 2006 and who gets short shrift in “The Runaways,” were here to see the movie “because she was the one who wanted the Runaways to get back together and do a reunion tour and all that stuff. She would have been so proud. The movie maybe would have taken a slightly different, more expanded, role if she were alive.”
Ultimately, Jett wants viewers to take a positive message away from the movie. “Sometimes life is grim and you can’t lie, but also, there is a message of the underdog can win,” she said. “Dreams should be sought. You shouldn’t not go for your dreams because you’re told not do because it’s not what a girl is supposed to do.”
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Phoenix is also on soundtrack for Sofia Coppola-directed filmThursday, May 16, 2013
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013