What do allegations against Chris Brown mean for him?
So throughout the whole Grammy telecast, there was a side drama playing out: shortly before the broadcast started, both Chris Brown and his girlfriend, Rihanna, pulled out of the show following word that Brown had allegedly assaulted a female Saturday night. As the show went on and on and on, news broke that the girl in question was Rihanna. Then, while the show was on, Brown surrendered to police.
What does this mean for Brown, who, at 19, has already established himself as a pop artist in the tradition of Michael Jackson? He's a triple-threat: he sings, dances, acts... and, until this incident, was known as one of the nicest, hardest working guys in show business. He was named Billboard's top artist of 2008. Plus, he's seen as a role model and had been a great one, up to this point.
We don't know enough yet to know how this will affect Brown or even if the reports are true: while reports suggest that Rihanna's injuries were "visible," that could be anything from a scratch to something much more severe--not that any kind of domestic violence should ever be condoned by anyone.
If this turns out that it was a minor scrape, Brown's reputation is going to be damaged, but should be reparable through the usual groveling, counseling, public service, etc. If the injuries are more than surface, it could be a career killer for Brown since his squeaky clean image will, deservedly so, be damaged and his story will always include this incident. Quite frankly, if the injuries are more than surface, taking care of his career is the least of his worries.
UPDATE: Chris Brown has been charged with making "criminal threats," which, according to a LA police officer interviewed on WABC, means he made threats that could happen. He was not charged with assault.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013