Watch: Rihanna covers Prince in Baltimore's 'Loud' tour opening
Read what critics are saying about the show
Rihanna opened her “Loud” tour June 4 at Baltimore’s 1st Mariner Arena to rave reviews. The local paper, The Baltimore Sun, went so far as to call it “one of the best pop concerts so far this year” and many reviewers praised the high-energy, hit-laden show.
Ri-Ri also threw in a few well-placed covers, including Prince’s “Darling Nikki.” She might as well take it since he doesn’t perform it any more due to religious reasons. We embedded it down below for your pleasure. Plus, she gave a lap dance to a female fan.
The Baltimore Sun: It was also one of the best pop concerts so far this year, a visually interesting, well-designed show that moved through sections with none of the clunkiness that bogged down Lady Gaga's Monster Ball Tour, where costume changes and unwieldy set-pieces took up too much time.
Except for a the ballads that almost marred the fourth act, Rihanna's Loud was a seamless stream of upbeat dance music, and she did it without sacrificing impressive stagecraft or pizzazz.
Bark + Bite: Rihanna has grown immensely as a performer. No, she's not a dancer like Beyonce or a crazy pianist like Lady Gaga, but Rihanna is a certified entertainer. She played and interacted with the crowd and most importantly, she sang live and she sang live well.
Rolling Stone: Beyond just the volume of the show -- which was considerable -- the [“Loud”] theme prevailed through the set, built around a giant speaker cabinet; the costumes (mostly neon and shiny); and the entire production itself: a gloriously over-the-top spectacle perfectly befitting the singer, who seems to produce chart-toppers by the dozen.
The tour continues tonight in Toronto.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Video Interviews with Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy of Before Midnight Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh
- 'Arrested Development': First-Episode Cameo Had Jason Bateman Frazzled 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The Wrap Up: New Posters for 'The Lone Ranger,' 'Turbo' and 'Hercules 3D' 'Inside Llewyn Davis' and 'Blue is the Warmest Color' Win Top Prizes at Cannes New 'Pacific Rim' and 'Man of Steel' TV Spots Deliver the Goods
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Ten: The big wrap-up, including Jim Jarmusch's fantastic vampire film Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 26) Arrested Development Season 4 Premiere Review: Huge Mistakes Were Made (But I Still Have Hope) Orphan Black: Get In Here and Discuss "Unconscious Selection"!
- K-Pop Boy Band LEDApple Cover Macklemore + Ryan Lewis' 'Thrift Shop' [Video] Joe Jonas Gets Hands On With Oklahoma Tornado Relief Efforts [Pics, Video] T-ara N4 Open for Chris Brown + Wiz Khalifa, Will Attend 2013 BET Awards
- Danny Groner: We Appreciate Arrested Development Better Today, But We're Losing Something Else Rob Kardashian Shows Off Weight Loss Major 'Homeland' Details Revealed
What is Paris Hilton doing on the list?Sunday, May 26, 2013
Singer takes to Facebook to respondSaturday, May 25, 2013
Who else debuts in the top 10?Saturday, May 25, 2013
The Purple One delivers goodies for the Memorial Day WeekendFriday, May 24, 2013