Watch: Pretty Lights and LeAnn Rimes brighten 'Re:Generation'
DJ works with Ralph Stanley and lives to tell the tale
Pretty Lights, aka Derek Smith, has his hands full with country legend Dr. Ralph Stanley in “Re:Generation.” The documentary, which plays in theaters for one day only, Feb. 23, before finding its TV home, pairs current DJs, such as Mark Ronson, Skrillex and Smith with artists in different genres. They then create an entirely new recording from the ground up.
Smith comes the farthest in the film musically: when he first finds out that he will be working in the country genre, he can’t disguise his contempt for the music, even though he barely knows anything about it. By the end, he’s found much to admire.
[More after the jump...]
As he admits, Smith makes a “mistake” when he tries to direct Stanley, whom you know as the haunting voice on "Man of Constant Sorrow" from "O Brother, Where Are Thou," in how he’d like for him to sing the lonesome classic “Wayfaring Stranger.” As the clip shows, Smith now sees the error of his ways and has gained a newfound appreciation for bluegrass and country and for the history of the music forms.
After working with Stanley, going into the studio with LeAnn Rimes was a breeze for Smith. The two look like they’re having a blast together. Plus, it’s a reminder of how talented a singer Rimes is—her constant tweets sometimes take the focus off her amazing vocals.
The two’s fondness for each other was evident during our interview or maybe Smith is still just feeling the relief from not having to encounter Stanley again.
As Rimes, who is an electronica fan, sums up, even though everyone may have a different technique or approach, “once you start speaking music, then you start talking each other’s language. “
See our interview with Mark Ronson and Erykah Badu about their segment here, and our interviews with The Doors John Densmore and The Crystal Method’s Ken Jordan here.
News From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013