Watch: Pearl Jam's 10-minute mini-movie from 'Backspacer'
Hear new music from the album
Pearl Jam is one of those rock bands that is never content to rest on its laurels. That doesn't mean its music always works, but as a longtime Pearl Jam fan, I've seldom thought the band was coasting.
As the Sept. 20 release of "Backspacer," the Seattle quintet's latest studio album approaches, get a glimpse of the recording process via "Backspacer Short," a mini-movie directed by noted photographer Danny Clinch.
"Backspacer" is a first for Pearl Jam in many ways: it's the band's shortest record and the only album where the songs were written before the band went into the studio. After all this time, it's clear the songwriting process remains as much a mystery for PJ frontman Eddie Vedder as it ever has.
Looking more and more like a benevolent mountain man, with his full beard and gravelly voice, he haltingly describes the process: "If you can have something hit you... it's like a ...it's happening quick and it's getting to where it needs to go, capturing lightning in a bottle." Good a description of writing as a song as we've heard.
Vedder and his bandmates, all in their 40s now, seem to be embracing the experience and wisdom that has come with age instead of desperately and impossibly trying to recapture their youth.
There's a "keen focus on maintaining your vitality," Vedder says, "whereas ten years earlier you not only took it for granted, you pissed on it."
The short features snippets of three tracks from "Backspacer": "Got Some," a classic- PJ sounding mid-tempo collision, and the lovely acoustic "Just Breathe" (which sounds like it could have been on the "Into the Wild" soundtrack) as well as upbeat first single, "The Fixer," which is already a mainstay at modern rock.
News From Our Partners
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013