Watch: OneRepublicâ€™s video for â€˜All the Right Movesâ€™
Does Ryan Tedder-led band have anything to â€˜apologizeâ€™ for?
OneRepublic is one in the seemingly endless stream of faceless rock bands with one real difference: the writing power of lead singer Ryan Tedder. He wrote the band’s megahit “Apologize,” and when he’s not writing for OneRepublic, he’s penning hits for artists like Leona Lewis (“Bleeding Love”), Beyonce (“Halo”) and Jordin Sparks (“Battlefield”)
So after a long hiatus, OneRepublic returns with “All the Right Moves,” the first single from its new album, “Waking Up,” out Nov. 17.
Here’s the sad truth: The song is catchy in that gauzy, slightly hypnotic way that “Apologize” was, but songs Tedder writes for others are so much interesting than the ones he writes for OneRepublic. Or maybe it’s just that his perfectly pleasant vocals can’t compete to with the ladies’ supersized voices when it comes delivering his words.
The sumptuous video was directed by legendary video director Wayne Isham, who’s handled clips for everyone from Britney to Metallica. It’s a glorified performance clip that takes place at a masquerade ball. Think “Eyes Wide Shut” with a cameo by a panhandling/pocketpicking Oliver Twist.
It’s lush, gorgeous and, oh yeah, absolutely nothing happens.
Given the oft-repeated “We’re going down” refrain, stage the ball on the Titanic (there’s even a line about “sinking in the ocean”) or add some drama. It’s a squandered opportunity or maybe all the budget went for the magnificent costumes.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My?
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013