Watch: 5 things we learned from Van Halen's new song and video 'Tattoo'
Do Eddie Van Halen and Diamond Dave still have it?
Van Halen is officially back. We now have an album release date of Feb 7 for "A Different Kind Of Truth," a confirmed tour and our first video for new single, “Tattoo.” Shot in an empty club (until the end at least), the clip for “Tattoo” succeeds if the point is to show that David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen and Alex Van Halen (and Eddie's son, Wolfgang, on bass) are still all upright, but if the purpose was to get this fan excited to buy tickets, mission not accomplished.
A few other thoughts:
[More after the jump...]
1) Strobe lights do not make you look younger. By shooting the video in black & white and with occasional stop-motion photography, all it does is jar the viewer and not in a good way. Plus, it’s odd to see Roth sometimes lipsynching and then other times completely doing something else totally unrelated.
2) Diamond Dave still has the moves as he shows at the very beginning when he’s prattling on about Elvis on his elbow, but they seem fairly tame now. We know the days of the mid-air splits are long gone (God knows how he ever did those in the first place), but he seems to be relatively still fleet of foot--except for when he’s standing around looking a little lost.
3) If you generally like Van Halen for Eddie’s guitar playing (Duh), “Tattoo” has a few minutes that will make you smile, such as Eddie’s opening riffs and then a solo (that starts around 2:45) reminiscent of “Jamie’s Crying.” Granted, his basic wizardry is so far above mere mortals’ ability that we take his superhuman talent for granted, but I know when my breath is taken away by one of his solos and this one doesn’t do it. Same with Roth’s vocals. he shows off with a few vocal pyrotechnics, but there are no great upper register screams.
4) “Tattoo” is a pretty weak song. It’s got a nice, chugging intro and the aforementioned EVH solo, but otherwise, it’s a fairly pedestrian affair about a housewife who gets a transformative tattoo and then “Uncle Danny” who “fought for the unions. Some of us still do," DLR proclaims, adding he has his union number tattooed on his arm. It’s a little weird to hear a political statement in the middle of a VH song. Plus, we can guarantee no one’s going to go around singing the word “Tattoo” like we all did with “Jump.”
5) Van Halen was one of the first true superstars of the video age and I can’t help but wonder how I’d feel about this song if smoking videos of the band 30 years ago weren’t so readily available on my computer. No one is immune to aging, but it’s impossible for me to watch the clip for “Tattoo” and not yearn for the days of yore.
What do you think of "Tattoo?"
Follow Melinda Newman on Twitter @HitFixMelinda
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
Singer also performs 'Beautiful' with MiguelFriday, May 24, 2013
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013