Bruno Mars' new video for 'Just the Way You Are'
Where's Billy Joel? Oh....
“Hey Mommy, what is that contraption that Bruno Mars is making figures out of in his video for ‘Just the Way You Are?’”
“Honey, that’s called a cassette and he’s using the tape inside it to create different images. About 25 years ago, that’s how people made music portable. Cars had cassette players. Then the CD made them extinct. What? I didn’t hear you? What’s a CD?”
Not only is Mars’ video a sweet paean to love, but it’s a musical history lesson. We know for promotional value ---and so we can pick him out of a line-up---the record company needed to show the actual Mars canoodling with the object of his affection, but we wish the whole video had been comprised of cassette tape images. The piano is really awesome, as is the portrait of his girl with the hair made out of cassette tape. That could catch on as a way to recycle any remaining cassette tapes: make wigs out of them.
Oh, I’m getting horribly sidetracked. That could be because there’s really nothing going on here other than the cute cassette tape origami. We applaud the message in a pop world rife with images that make girls feel like they aren’t good enough, but we wish the song had a little more oomph to it. Plus, Mars and the girl have zero chemistry. She seems to be amazing the just the way she is because she can rock a pair of Daisy Dukes and an off-shoulder t-shirt and put her hand in front of her mouth and look coy. Aim a little higher, Bruno.
Now he would have really impressed us if he’d used an 8-track cartridge, but you’d have to be old enough to remember another little song called “Just the Way You Are” to know about those relics.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013