Watch: Avril Lavigne's video for 'What the Hell'
She's a girl gone mild in the product-filled video
In Avril Lavigne’s new endorsement fest, uh, we mean video, for “What The Hell,” she’s a girl gone mild. She wants to be a bad girl, but, quite honestly, she just doesn’t seem to have it in her, despite declaring that all she wants to do “is mess around.” But we will say, she seems to have mad basketball skillz.
We know discussing plot points and suspension of disbelief in videos is really pointless, but the thrust of the song is she’s cheated on her boyfriend. We never get any hint of that here, since she wakes up with him and ends up back in bed with him at the end. Instead we get a romp that begins when she pushes him out of her apartment right after spraying on one of her two perfume lines. Maybe he’s upset that she steals a NY taxi for a joyride and then joins a pick-up basketball game before running to a boutique that, coincidentally, happens to sell her Abbey Dawn line of clothing. What are the chances of that?
[More after the jump...]
The odd thing is that Lavigne, who is now 26, seems to want to be seen as an adult, and we’re not saying sexing it up in videos is the way to do that, but this video operates on about a 15-year-old girl’s maturity level, including flipping the bird. Plus, Lavigne, who has so much as said that she recorded the song because the label made her, looks incredibly awkward throughout the whole process, even when she hops on stage to perform. For her, going crazy is symbolized by raising one arm over her head and skipping and flipping her hair. Plus, we love the scene where she thinks putting on a set of Poindexter glasses will keep him from recognizing her.
Maybe we were just blinded by all the product placements. We’d like to watch it a few more times, but we’re off to buy the Sony Ericsson phone lavishly displayed in the video.
Watch the video below. Lavigne’s new album, “Goodbye Lullaby,” comes out March 8.
News From Our Partners
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013