Top 40 Stations Pull Chris Brown
Following listeners' response, three stations put Brown on hold
After reading my blog about Chris Brown's statement regarding the early morning of Feb. 8 when he allegedly attacked girlfriend Rihanna, one of my former Billboard colleagues informed me that a smattering of stations have, indeed, yanked Brown's music off the air.
According to radio trade magazine Radio & Records , WAKS in Cleveland has pulled Brown's music until further notice. Similarly, two other Top 40 stations, WNOU in Indianapolis and WXKB in Ft. Myers, Fla., have also stopped playing Brown. These stations tell R&R they are following the lead of their listeners, who have told the stations to cool it on Brown.
WNOU program director Tim "Rayne" Rainey told R&R : "We let the listeners [of WNOU] decide if we should continue to play Chris Brown's music, and 52% of them said we should suspend his music until his legal matter is resolved. Many callers, victims of domestic abuse themselves, felt it was the most appropriate thing to do. We are encouraging our listeners to speak out against domestic violence. Domestic abuse is never the answer. Seeking help and treatment is a practice we encourage."
Want more music news and analysis? Sign up now for HitFix Blog Alerts and get The Beat Goes On in your inbox every day.
Don't stop the music! Click here to add The Beat Goes On to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience today.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
Singer also performs 'Beautiful' with MiguelFriday, May 24, 2013
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013