Tim McGraw's new album, 'Emotional Traffic,' set for Jan. 24 release
Will album, which features Ne-Yo, be his last for Curb?
Tim McGraw’s last album for Curb Records will come out Jan. 24.
“Emotional Traffic,” co-produced by McGraw and his longtime producer Byron Gallimore includes “Felt Good On My Lips,” which reached No. 1 on the Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart in 2011, as well as current single, “Better Than I Used to Be.”
The set also features a duet with Ne-Yo on “Only Human.” McGraw is no stranger to blending genres: he and Nelly collaborated on “Over and Over” in 2004. The album also has a song co-written by McGraw and Martina McBride.
The release most likely brings a close to McGraw’s contentious 20-year tenure on Curb that ended up in court last year. McGraw finished recording “Emotional Traffic” more than a year ago, even launching the “Emotional Traffic” tour early last year in anticipation of putting out the album. However, Curb felt it was too soon to release another studio album following October 2009’s “Southern Voice.”
McGraw told me during the December 2010 press tour for the movie “Country Strong,” that he was ready to move on. “Twenty years with any label, I think, is too much, so unless you’re really having a great relationship...I think it’s a good time for me to go out and see what’s out there...When a relationship doesn’t work mutually, then I think you have to evaluate it on both sides. I could turn to Prince really quickly if I go down that road.” (Prince was so beleaguered by his contractual obligations to Warner Bros., that he wrote “slave” on his cheek).
As often happens, things got ugly. Last May, Curb filed suit for breach of contract against McGraw, alleging that he has delivered the album too early in a “transparent tactic” to get out of his contract, which stipulated that each new album be recorded within a certain time period, and no earlier, following his previous album. McGraw countersued and in November, a court denied Curb’s request to keep McGraw from recording for another label while the original lawsuit continues.
However, it’s not a clean break yet. Curb and McGraw will go back to court in July to determine if McGraw did, indeed, breach his contract. In the meantime, he is free to record for labels other than Curb. To celebrate, a week after the court’s decision, McGraw released a holiday track, “Christmas All Over the World,” via his own label, StyleSonic.
It’s already shaping up as a busy year for the singer/actor, who will tour Australia with wife, Faith Hill, in March. McGraw and Kenny Chesney will perform together this summer on the Brothers of the Sun stadium outing.
Check out our gallery of other highly-anticipated albums of 2012.
"Emotional Traffic" track listing:
2. Right Back Actha Babe
3. One Part, Two Part
4. I Will Not Fall Down
5. The One
6. Better Than I Used To Be
7. Touchdown Jesus
8. The One That Got Away
9. Felt Good On My Lips?
10. Hey Now
11. Only Human
12. Die By My Own Hand
Follow Melinda Newman on Twitter @HitfixMelinda
News From Our Partners
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
Singer also performs 'Beautiful' with MiguelFriday, May 24, 2013
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013