The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde bows new band and Hitfix is there
JP, Chrissie and the Fairground Boys gently rock Santa Monica
Held at the warm, curtain-draped Apogee’s Berkeley Street Studio in Santa Monica, the eight-song acoustic performance showcased Hynde’s dusky, shimmery alto in a tender, gentler setting than the often-gruff Pretenders’ music provides. Although the Fairgound Boys is a full band, for this performance, taped specifically for NPR outlet, KCRW, Hynde was joined only by band co-founded Welsh singer/songwriter JP Jones, and guitarist Patrick Murdoch. (Apogee is a recording equipment manufacturer).
The songs, most of the theme about love and yearning, were set to lovely alt country rhythms. The threesome’s performance was often rag tag, but the rough, non-polished edges only added to the intimate feel of the evening. Hynde and Jones, best known for his stint in a British pop band, Grace, traded off on lead vocals, but sounded best when they wrapped their voices around each other.
There was an “are they or aren’t they a couple” vibe to the45-minute performance that certainly played out throughout the evening by the looks exchanged between Hynde, 58, and the much-younger Jones that only gained credence through many of the songs’ lyrics. “Australia,” a tune about Hynde and Jones’ first meeting at a party thrown by Damian Hirst’s wife in 2008, includes the line “Eyes as blue as yours deserve a symphony.” Hardly a line you write for a friend. In “Perfect Lover,” Hynde’s sings “I found my perfect lover, but he’s only half my age… He was learning how to stand; I was wearing my first wedding band.” The pair does not end up together in the end.
Perhaps more telling, Jones introduced the song and forthcoming album title track, “Fidelity,” with a story about the two writing the album in Cuba, where they saw pictures of Fidel Castro everywhere and decided if they were ever to have a baby, they’d name it Fidel. “This is for the baby we’ll never have,” Jones said.
The set concluded with a cover of Bon Iver’s “Skinny Love.”
The performance, plus an interview with Hynde and Jones conducted by DJ Chris Douridas (in which much more is revealed about the relationship between the two), will air Saturday, May 1, at 1:30 p.m. on KRCW and www.kcrw.org.
Pretenders fans: don't worry. Hynde continues on with that group as well.
Photo courtesy of Jonathan Kalan.
News From Our Partners
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013