The next 10 acts who should go into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Let the debate begin: Kiss, Rush, and Chic top the list
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inducted the Class of 2012 over the weekend amid a slew of no shows and controversy, once again, over acts that have not been invited to join the Cleveland edifice.
Here are the 10 acts that should be the next to get in. The Hall only inducts five performers at a time so we know they aren’t all going in in 2013, but all are eligible. Some of them have been on the ballot before and been denied, others, like Kiss, like to shout it, shout it out loud, that they have been wronged over and over.
The acts are listed in alphabetical order, not by any ranking of preference.
Who should be in next in your opinion?
*Chic: They will always be debate on this one between the folks who just can’t get their head around that Chic was much more than a disco act. They melded all different types of music in innovative and creative ways. “Clams on the half shell and roller skates” for all.
*Hall & Oates: The most successful pop/rock duo of all time, whose songs have aged even better than Daryl and John. Well, except for “Man Eater.”
*Heart: If they had testicles, they would have been in the first year they were eligible. Having said that, Ann and Nancy Wilson have more balls than 99% of the rockers out there. Ann’s voice hasn’t diminished a bit--it can still peel the paint from the walls.
*Judas Priest: It seems impossible that they aren’t in yet. Like prog rock, heavy metal has also been slighted. Otherwise (and we know they’re all different shades of metal) Deep Purple and Iron Maiden would already be in as well.
*KISS: No one thinks they should be in as much as Gene Simmons, but there’s no denying when you look at their influence, contributions to rock, and longevity that KISS deserves to be in. No question.
*The Monkees: Scream all you want, they deserve it There are plenty of acts in the Rock Hall, including many of the acts produced by Phil Spector, who didn’t produce or write their own material but who were pivotal figures who deserve inclusion. The outpouring of grief over Davy Jones’ death from “legitimate” music critics only proved the point.
*The Runaways: Joan Jett should be in period, whether it’s as a member of this seminal, pioneering female rock group or as a member of Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (as she was presented on the ballot this go round) or just as Joan Jett. Just get her in.
*Todd Rundgren: As true a rock innovator as anyone who has ever come along. If we can’t get him in as an artist, what about as a groundbreaking producer?
*Rush: This Canadian power trio is, to many fans, the Rock Hall’s most obscenely glaring omission, although the Hall has shown a shocking lack of respect for any act that even remotely borders on prog rock, so Geddy, Neil, and Alex certainly have company.
*Stevie Ray Vaughan: Have the voting members heard him play? Think of every word you would use to describe rock and roll and you’d use it to describe Vaughan’s fire, virtuosity and passion.
Follow Melinda Newman on Twitter @HitfixMelinda
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013