The Monkees' sales soar following Davy Jones' death
Plus, Michael Nesmith remembers Jones and the Monkees' ride
As we’ve seen all too recently with Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse and Whitney Houston, an artist’s death — and the attendant publicity — spurs sales.
The Monkees are the latest act to see such a jump. Following Davy Jones’ Feb. 29 death, the group returned to the Billboard 200 for the first time in nine years, according to Billboard. “The Best of the Monkees’ popped back onto the album chart yesterday at No. 20. The Best of the Monkees” was last on the charts in June 2003. The title’s sales of 17,000 were up 7,808% over the week before. (We can’t do the math, but that means it must have sold something like 400 copies last week).
“Flashback With the Monkees” came on the chart at No. 125.
[More after the jump...]
Not surprisingly, the group also sees a rise in downloads: “Daydream Believer” sold 39,000 for the week ending March 4, up 5,346% over the previous week.
We mourned Davy, our first crush, here. Michael Nesmith, in a really lovely interview with Rolling Stone, mourns his bandmate here. Note that even though the interviewer refers to Jones as Davy in the email interview, Nesmith calls him “David” every time.
Enjoy "Daydream Believer" below.
Follow Melinda Newman on Twitter @HitfixMelinda
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013