Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, Dr. John and Darlene Love in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2011
Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, Dr. John and Darlene Love make the cut
The official announcement won’t come until Wednesday, but as we hinted at here, Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, Dr. John and Darlene Love will be the 2011 inductees in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The New York Times is reporting that Leon Russell will also be inducted with the award for musical excellence (this used to be called the sideman award). What a great year Russell is having between this and his great album with Elton John, “The Union.”
Love had been nominated two times before, but the rest of her class made it on their first ballot.
Acts on this year’s ballot who will have to come back again are Donna Summer, Chic, LL Cool J, J. Geils Band, the Beastie Boys, Bon Jovi, Donovan, Laura Nyro, Joe Tex and Chuck Willis.
So did the Rock Hall get it right? Yes, for the most part. While there’s not really any kind of chronological order to the induction process — artists are eligible 25 years after their first release comes out — it only seems fair that someone like Darlene Love, who has been making records for around 20 years longer than, say, the Beastie Boys, goes in before they do. Plus, some of this year’s nominees, as great artists as they may be, feel a little bit like a stretch. I may be the only person who would fight to the death Bon Jovi’s right to go in over J. Geils Band, but I am prepared to do so.
Dr. John should be inducted for his musical contributions, but also as his historical link between those who came before him, like Professor Longhair, and modern day, but we would have liked to have seen Nyro go in first. She is one of the most revered songwriters in pop history (and with that, we’re not real sure why she’s being pushed as an artist, which she indeniably was, instead of as a songwriter).
With the slight exception of Love, these inductees run a pretty narrow spectrum of rock, so, in that way, as the NY Times suggests, voters played it safe this year....if you can call the grand spectacle of Cooper playing it safe.
The induction ceremony will take place March 14 in New York.
What do you think of this year's inductees? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
Singer takes to Facebook to respondSaturday, May 25, 2013
Who else debuts in the top 10?Saturday, May 25, 2013
The Purple One delivers goodies for the Memorial Day WeekendFriday, May 24, 2013
Singer also performs 'Beautiful' with MiguelFriday, May 24, 2013