Ten Minutes with Panic! At the Disco's Brendon Urie
What's up with the new bandmates, 'Jennifer's Body' soundtrack and touring with Blink-182
While it may be some time before we see a new Panic! At the Disco album, the band's fans can get new music today courtesy of the group's appearance on the "Jennifer's Body" soundtrack.
The horror comedy flick, which stars Megan Fox, includes music from Panic!, as well as such other Fueled by Ramen acts as Cobra Starship and Paramore's Hayley Williams. Among the other artists contributing songs are Dashboard Confessional, All Time Low, Little Boots, Black Kids, and Florence and the Machine.
But Panic! Has the first single, "New Perspective," which may be new to fans, but is old for lead singer Brendon Urie.
"I wrote the song probably two years ago," he tells Hitfix. "I didn't know what it was right for. Then our friend at management said people at Fox are looking for a song. I gave the one song, they said it was alright, then I gave them 'New Perspective'" and the rest is history.
Urie didn't even have to change any of the lyrics to fit the scene in the Diablo Cody-penned movie where it plays. "It's kind of weird hearing your song in the movie the first time," he admits. "The scene where it's played, they're all getting ready for the prom. We weren't sure how it was going to come across, there's a lot of sexual innuendo in the lyrics. Luckily for us, the movie has a lot of sexual innuendo." (We'll say, there's a certain line in the song that if we were parents of a 10-year-old fan, we wouldn't want to have to be explaining that one yet... )
Urie hopes Panic's inclusion leads to more film work. "I really hope to do more in the future. It was so great to have something be a part of the movie." Avid Panic fans will recall that a remix of the song "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage" was on the "Snakes on a Plane" soundtrack, but didn't appear in the movie.
As Panic fans know, the band is in the middle of regrouping following last month's departure of guitarist/vocalist Ryan Ross and bassist Jon Walker. The pair was replaced by former Cab member Ian Crawford and Dallon Weekes from the Brobecks just in time for Panic's two weeks of dates on the Blink 182 tour earlier this month. "We're breaking in the new guys," Urie says. 'They're awesome."
Now done with the Blink tour ("They're all really fun guys; they have great senses of humor," Urie says of Blink), it's time to go back into the studio and finish the follow up to 2008's "Pretty.Odd." "We're going to go in there and finish recording. We've been demoing for the past five or six months," Urie says. "It will hopefully be out early next year."
He adds that "New Perspective" is one of the new album's "poppier" tracks. "We wanted to do something that spans the difference between the first and second albums. Some songs are in the vintage rock vibe, some are really dance-y. Messing around with electronics is really fun for us... "
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013