Taylor Swift is 2008's top-selling artist
AC/DC, Lil Wayne and Coldplay follow close behind on the charts
Taylor Swift has another good reason to pop the cork on the champagne today: she was the top-seling artist of 2008, according to Nielsen SoundScan. (since she's only 19, we're sure she'll drink sparkling cider....).
Her combined album sales in 2008 were 4 million, placing her far above AC/DC, who came in at No. 2 with 3.4 million. AC/DC's new album sold extremely well, but the bulk of its sales come from its catalog, which is among the best selling in the industry. The catalog is aided by the fact that the group is one of the few hold outs who refuses to sell its music digitally, therefore, fans have to buy entire albums instead of parse individual tracks.
Lil Wayne, whose "Tha Carter lll," was the top-selling individual album of the year, comes in at No. 3 with cumulative 2008 album sales of 3.38 million.
Below is the Top 10 Selling Artists based on sales from 12/31/2007-12/28/2008. All figures provided by the Nielsen Company.
Taylor Swift: 4,003,000
Lil Wayne: 3,382,000
Kid Rock: 2,405,000
Jonas Bros.: 2,340,000
Jack Johnson: 1,895,000
News From Our Partners
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013
So is the new album title really 'Yeezus?'Sunday, May 19, 2013
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013