Taylor Swift, Keith Urban, Faith Hill bow down to "King George"
George Strait honored April 6 as ACM's Artist of the Decade
Faith Hill, Toby Keith and Tim McGraw will also be part of the April 6 taping at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena, the show will air later this spring on CBS.
The artist of the decade has previously been presented as part of the Academy of Country Music Awards. This year marks the first time the award has been broken out into its own special. Previous artist of the decade honorees, who will also be feted in some fashion during Strait's special, are Marty Robbins, Loretta Lynn, Alabama and Garth Brooks.
I interviewed Strait about the honor for M, the in-room magazine for the MGM Mirage hotel chain. He told me this honor stands apart from others he's received: "Well, the fact that it covers a whole decade is pretty special," Strait says. "It validates all of the work you've put into your records, concerts, and all of the other things that go into a music career. Knowing that you're being given this honor out of all of the other artists that are working just as hard, trying to make the very best music you can make for
the fans out there. It's pretty sweet."
There's a reason Strait has been one of country music's leading superstars for more than 25 years and has scored an astonishing 56 No. 1 songs (that's more than any artist on any chart): he has never forgotten his fans. He told M, "I've had an unbelievable career in country music and have been blessed
beyond my wildest expectations and dreams. My fans are the most loyal fans in the world. The best! Period. A lot of them who started coming to see my shows years ago are still coming today and now some of them are even bringing their kids with them. It just doesn't get any better than that. I love singing country music and to just still be a part of it at this level for so long is one big highlight in itself."
Tickets to the taping are available to the public through Ticketmaster and benefit the Academy of Country Music Charitable Fund.
Want more music news and analysis? Sign up now for HitFix Blog Alerts and get The Beat Goes On in your inbox every day.
Don't stop the music! Click here to add The Beat Goes On to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience today.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Joe Satran: Who's Winning The 'Game Of Thrones'? Andrew Jenks: Where Guns Are as Common as Cell Phones Renee Graziano: Look Before You Love
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013
Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Prince set to performSunday, May 19, 2013