Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush reveal what not to do at a concert
Platinum country duo talks about new DVD/CD, 'Sugarland: Live on the Inside"
Sugarland has built a reputation as one of the best live bands around and now fans can enjoy one of the duo's concerts from the comfort of their own lounge chair. "Sugarland: Live on the Inside," came out today exclusively through Wal-Mart. The DVD/CD combo includes Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush performing at Lexington, Ky.'s Rupp Arena, as well as a collection of the pair covering some of their favorite songs, including Beyonce's "Irreplaceable," Kings of Leon's "Sex on Fire" and R.E.M.'s "The One I Love."
When fans view the concert, Nettles says, she wants them "To be entertained by the show without any preconception of genre or expectation of what to expect because they think country might be this or they've seen us here or there before. We put a lot of time and thought and effort into the artistry and the flow and the creativity of our shows and so we want to share that with everybody."
I talked with Nettles and Bush earlier this week for MSN.com and found them both charming and engaging. Their love of music and performing shines through. There are times special moments when the bond between artist and audience is palpable, Nettles says. "There are specific ones where you know that [with that] music or that song or that moment, you are touching people and they are touching you at the same time."
The pair laughed about how fans still haven't grasped the need to put their hands up when Nettles and Bush roll over the audience in clear, plastic spheres-a trick they picked up from the Flaming Lips: Wayne Coyne even told them where to buy the balls.
"[We're rolling] right over your head and if you have a cell phone and a beer, you're gonna have to put one of them down," Bush says. "This is not going to work out. Although I love on YouTube, you'll see we go right over the top of somebody's camera."
"Some people, they don't exactly what's about to happen, especially in the beginning," Nettles says. "They get excited and they're holding their child, like 'Oh, look!' and I'm screaming in the ball (screams) 'Put the baby down!' I know they're going to get rolled over. If you come to a show, don't hold your baby up. Just watch."
News From Our Partners
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013