Spoon, 'Crazy Heart' soundtrack, Grammy noms set top Jan. 19 releases
Can anyone push Vampire Weekend out of the top spot?
After new chart toppers from Ke$ha and Vampire Weekend came out the first two Tuesdays of 2010, things slow down for this week. Catch your breath now because it picks back up on Jan. 26. In the meantime, let’s look at the top releases of Jan. 19.
Editors, “In This Light and On This Evening” (Fader): British band releases what it calls its “rawest” album to date. Working with producer Flood, the group hit No. 1 on the U.K. album chart when “Light” was released domestically in October. Never as big in the U.S. as they are at home, the Editors, nonetheless, have a strong following stateside for their brand of moody indie rock.
Eels, “End Times” (Vagrant): Beloved group, led by Mark Everett (E), ended a four-year break between studio albums last May with the release of “Hombre Lobo: 12 Songs of Desire.” Now, less than eight months later comes the band’s eighth studio album, “End Times.” Recorded largely on a four-track recorder, “End Times” chronicles Everett’s divorce following in a long tradition of break-up albums such as “Blood on the Tracks,” “Rumours” and “Tunnel of Love.”
Motion City Soundtrack, “My Dinosaur Life” (Columbia): Pop punksters make the move from Epitaph to Columbia for their fourth studio album. The set reunites the band with Blink-182’s Mark Hoppus, who produced the group’s second album, 2004’s “Commit This to Memory.”
Spoon, “Transference” (Merge): Revered Austin-based indie rock band fronted by Britt Daniel follows up 2007’s acclaimed “Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga” (and two intervening EPs) with its first self-produced set. “Transference,” written by Daniel, continues the group’s lo-fi and quirky, but always charming, musical journey. We’ll see if it can debut in the top 10 as “Ga Ga” did.
Various Artists, “Crazy Heart” (New West): T Bone Burnett and Ryan Bingham snagged the Golden Globe on Jan. 17 for best original song from a motion picture soundtrack for “The Weary Kind.” Check out that gorgeous song and lots of other originals from “Crazy Heart,” the story of a down-and-out country singer seeking redemption. The film’s stars, Jeff Bridges and Colin Farrell, deliver the goods on such songs as “Fallin’ & Flyin’” and “Hold on You.” They’re surrounded by classic tracks from Waylon Jennings, Buck Owens and Townes Van Zandt.
Various Artists, “2010 Grammy Nominees” (Capitol/EMI Music): Check out 20 tracks all competing for a Grammy on Jan. 31. The collection, sales of which benefit MusiCares and the Grammy Foundation, features hits from the Black Eyed Peas, Lady GaGa, Kings of Leon, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce, Katy Perry and more.
News From Our Partners
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013