Snoop Dogg inks record deal with MTV
New MTV talk show, 'Dogg After Dark,' starts Feb. 17
Snoop Dogg wants his MTV. The rapper/reality show star, fresh out of his long-term deal with Interscope Records, has inked a deal with MTV to release his next album, "Malice in Wonderland."
According to Billboard, the album will come out later this year.
"Malice" will include guest spots from Pharrell and composer Lalo Shifrin (he wrote, among others, the "Mission Impossible" theme), as well as Dr. Dre. "We're in the process of trying to help him [Dr. Dre] with the 'Detox' record and working on mine at the same time," Snoop Dogg told Billboard.
Snoop and MTV have a long history through his videos, of course. He starts a new reality show, "Dogg After Dark" on the cable station. The show is billed as a "party/talk show" and will feature special guests and performances. The second season of Snoop's reality show, "Father Hood," wrapped Jan. 25 on E!
It's shaping up to be a busy super year for the Snooper- he will also appear at Bonnaroo in June.
From a business standpoint, we expect to see more and more deals like the MTV/Snoop deal. As record companies trim their rosters (that's not to imply Snoop Dogg was cut, as opposed to leaving) and as artists come to the end of their label contracts, there's no reason to re-sign if you can find a media partner as humungous as MTV. Sure, we know MTV doesn't play videos anymore, but you best believe any clip from Snoop Dogg will get banged in heavy rotation as a way to promote "Dogg After Dark," if nothing else. Plus, it costs a network very little, relatively speaking, to release a CD as an ancillary revenue source. We have no idea the terms of Snoop's deal, but it could even include usage of Snoop's music from his MTV-released album across other Viacom-owned platforms for a decreased licensing fee.
Want more music news and analysis? Sign up now for HitFix Blog Alerts and get The Beat Goes On in your inbox every day.
Don't stop the music! Click here to add The Beat Goes On to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience today.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
Singer takes to Facebook to respondSaturday, May 25, 2013
Who else debuts in the top 10?Saturday, May 25, 2013
The Purple One delivers goodies for the Memorial Day WeekendFriday, May 24, 2013
Singer also performs 'Beautiful' with MiguelFriday, May 24, 2013