Sade's 'Soldier of Love' leads Feb. 9 slate of releases with her first set of new material in 10 years
Singer's first album of new material in 10 years joined by Dave Matthews, Jaheim, Taylor Swift and more
There may be plenty of releases coming out Feb. 9, but there’s only one that people are talking about: British-Nigerian singer Sade, who releases her first album of new material in roughly 10 years with “Soldier of Love.”
Galactic, “Ya-Ka-May” (Anti-/Epitaph): Continue to celebrate the New Orleans Saints’ Super Bowl win with this New Orleans jam band. Half of New Orleans does, including such wonderful hometown faves as Irma Thomas, Allen Toussaint, Rebirth Brass Band and Trombone Shorty. The second line starts here.
Him, “Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice” (Sire) Finnish metal band combines love, sex and hard rock on its seventh studio album, produced by metal maven Matt Squire (The Used, All time Low and Saosin). Best served with a nice slab of reindeer meat.
Hot Chip, “One Life Stand” (Astralwerks): British electro-pop act throw in plenty of heart and soul with the technology, courtesy of lead singer Alexis Taylor’s sweet, vulnerable voice. Could this, their fourth album, big their big U.S. breakthrough? It should be.
Jaheim, “Another Round” (Atlantic): R&B singer already has a big hit with the set’s frst single, the smooth, pick up anthem “Ain’t Leavin’ Without You.” Entertainment Weekly compares Jaheim to the late, great Teddy Pendergrass. We can’t go that far, but there’s plenty here to sex you up.
Massive Attack, “Heligoland” (Virgin): Trip-hop masters are joined by Mazzy Star’s Hope Sandoval, Blur’s Damon Albarn and TV on the Radio’s Tunde Adebimpe for their latest set.
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds, “Live in Las Vegas” (Bama Rags/RCA): Sometimes the title says everything you need to know, but if you’re looking for a few more details, it’s 26 tracks of Matthews and Reynolds noodling at a show taped Dec. 12 at the Theater for the Performing Arts at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino.
Sade, “Soldier of Love” (Epic): Produced by Sade and Mike Pela, “Soldier of Love” marks Sade’s first album of all new material in 10 years. Read our review here.
Various Artists, “Valentine’s Day” soundtrack (Big Machine): Soundtrack to new Garry Marshall romantic comedy features new music from Jewel and Taylor Swift, who also appears in the film as Taylor Lautner's girlfriend, as well as a number of other love-themed ditties, including Maroon 5’s remake of Frank Sinatra’s “The Way You Look Tonight,” Diane Birch’s perky “Valentino” and Michael Franti & Spearhead’s peppy “Say Hey (I Love You).”
The Watson Twins, “Talking to You, Talking to Me” (Vanguard): Folky pop twins Chandra and Leigh Watson, best known for their collaboration with Rilo Kiley’s Jenny Lewis on “Rabbit Fur Coat,” are joined by members of My Morning Jacket and Everest (Neil Young’s new fave band) for their latest.
Yeasayer, “Odd Blood” (Secretly Canadian): Artsy hipster band from Brooklyn toggles just as easily between opening for MGMT and playing at the Guggenheim Museum or Bonnaroo. They fuse experimental rock with pop sometimes. Other times, they’re just delightfully weird.
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story erroneously stated that Massive Attack was appearing at Coachella.
News From Our Partners
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013