Rock & Roll Hall of Fame picks Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys
Better luck next year: Heart, Joan Jett, Donna Summer and the Cure
Welcome to the Rock Hall, baby: the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame will will induct Guns N’ Roses as one of its six honorees for the class of 2012.
Joining them will be the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, ‘60s folksinger Donovan, singer-songwriter Laura Nyro, and the Small Faces.
An artist is eligible 25 years after his or her first album or single comes out.
Guns N’ Roses’ selection will immediately get tongues wagging on whether Slash and the other original members, including Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler, will reunite on stage with co-founder Axl Rose, who tours under the original G N'R name despite being the only founding member left. Although Guns N' Roses quickly distinguished itself from the other hairbands working the Sunset Strip in the late '80s to become a trailblazing rock band best known for Rose's howl and Slash's electrifying guitar work, their inclusion in their first year of eligibility will certainly rankle some folks who feel a number of long-ignored artists should have gone in first.
Among those on this year’s ballot who were snubbed are the Cure, Heart, Chaka Khan, Donna Summer, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Freddie King, The Spinners, War and Eric B & Rakim.
The Rock Hall continues to ignore a legion of acts, including Hall & Oates, Todd Rundgren, Rush, Roxy Music, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Electric Light Orchestra and the Doobie Bros.
The final ballot goes to more then 500 music industry executives and journalists. The class of 2012 will be inducted in a ceremony held at the Hall of Fame in Cleveland, April 14, 2012.
What do you think of this year's inductees? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
Who is the biggest snub of this year's Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame class?
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Daft Punk scores its first Top 10 hitWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013