Review: Marina and the Diamonds sparkle in L.A. debut
Watch video for 'I am Not a Robot' and see for yourself
You may not have heard of Marina & the Diamonds, but you will.Â Thereâ€™s been a buzz growing about the Welsh act that has only gotten louder following gigs at SXSW. After her sold-out show at the Troubadour in Los Angeles last night, itâ€™s easy to see why.
Marina is Marina Diamondis. The Diamonds refers not her backing band, but to her fans (Hey, if Lady GaGa can have her monsters, Marina can have her diamonds).
Â Â Â
Her May album, â€œThe Family Jewels,â€ is chock full of pop delights like â€œOh, No,â€ â€œI am Not a Robot,â€ â€œObsessions,â€ and â€œShampain,â€ but itâ€™s live that she really soars. At the Troubadour on July 6, in her first U.S. show since SXSW and only fourth American concert overall,Â playing with a stripped-down band (just drums, bass and keyboards) forced Marina to rearrange many of her tunes and put the focus where it truly belongs: on her supple vocals. Marina has been blessed with one of those instruments that seems to have no limits.Â Sheâ€™s not a belter like a Mariah orÂ Whitney; instead itâ€™s a swooping and swelling voice full of nuance and promiseâ€”more akin to a Kate Bush or Tori Amos (and, oddly, at times Siouxsie Sioux of the Siouxsie and the Banshees).
Itâ€™s the type voice that turns 3Oh3!â€™s â€œStar Strukk,â€ which she covered last night, on its head and makes it seem like a true lament.
Her songs, which are a new wave/pop blend, deal primarily with love gone wrongâ€”more often than not, at her own hand, but the melodies are so jaunty that heartbreak never sounded so good. She also displays a wonderfully cynical look at human nature, such as on â€œHollywood,â€ for which she donned dollar-sign sunglasses and held a fake mega-burger aloft.
Check out the video for â€œOh, Noâ€ and get an idea of how Marina & the Diamonds shine.
News From Our Partners
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
Watch the Foo Fighters' hilarious speech now before it airs on HBOThursday, May 16, 2013
Phoenix is also on soundtrack for Sofia Coppola-directed filmThursday, May 16, 2013
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013